2017 good things list
So, 2017's almost over. The year's been a huge shitshow, politically, but this has been one of the best years of my life, personally. After many years of near constant suckitude, I'm so happy to have enjoyed a year full of personal growth and progress. Here are some of the good things that have happened to me this year:
- I met someone. I never know what else to say here when it comes to this kind of thing, but man, it's been so great. We bring out the best in each other and we share many of the same values and passions, but we are different enough that it keeps things interesting. I'm pretty happy with where things are going, and I hope this continues.
- I got on a plane on FOUR different occasions this year, after being too scared to fly for the past 5 years. I still don't love being 30,000 feet above the ground, but I flew more this year than I've flown in probably the last 10 years combined and I'm so happy I actually did it.
- As a result of getting the above job, I moved to the Boston area. Finally. I found an apartment in Somerville and it's probably my most favorite apartment in which I've lived.
- I traveled to Paris and Vienna with my love. Yeah, I went to freaking PARIS. We spent our trip taking long walks around new neighborhoods, eating delicious food and drinking tasty beer, and enjoying each other's company.
- On a whim, I joined the Maximum Fun Slack community, not thinking I'd ever get involved at all. I was wrong, and I look forward to chatting with the awesome people I met in this community every day.
- I set foot in six countries outside of the US this year -- Canada, Mexico, England, Scotland, France, and Austria, and I spent time at airports in Iceland and Ireland. I'm not kidding when I say I traveled a LOT this year.
- At long last, I finally, FINALLY became comfortable with venturing into the Drupal issue queues, rolling patches, and gaining commit credits for issues on which I worked. I never thought I'd contribute to Drupal core, and I'm happy that I feel comfortable jumping in and helping. I love Drupal and I love giving back to the community.
- Speaking of Drupal, I attended two DrupalCons this year and attended a few other Drupal camps, and got to geek out with my people.
- I went to a couple knitting events this year as well, including Stitches United and, of course, Rhinebeck! Sitting and knitting with awesome people is the best.
- I got my first tattoo while attending DrupalCamp Montreal earlier this year, a beer hop on my left wrist. Now I want all the tattoos!
- My teams and I kicked ass at trivia, both in western MA and in the Boston area. I love trivia!
- I got to spend a few days on a cruise with my college roommate and we had such a blast. I'm grateful for our friendship, and we've now been friends for half our lives.
- I knit a ton of socks. A TON.
Now, my life's not perfect and it never will be. I still have things to work on (hello, impostor syndrome!) but in general, I'm content with where I am right now. I hope this growth continues in 2018.